Sunday, October 30, 2005

"Celebration of Discipline" by Richar J. Foster

After reading "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard J. Foster, I found some disciplines most Christians already are living them out at a certain degree. However, most of them I found it quite difficult to draw a fine line, also can be very subjective on the position of such line. For example, in chapter 9 "The Discipline of Service, 'Yes…But' subtitle":

"…we must see the difference between choosing to serve and choosing to be a servant. When we choose to serve, we are still in charge. We decide whom we will serve and when we will serve. And if we are in charge, we will worry a great deal about anyone stepping on use, that is taking charge over us. But when we choose to be a servant, we give up the right to be in charge. There is great freedom in this. If we voluntarily choose to be taken advantage of, then we cannot be manipulated… we surrender the right to decide who and when we will serve. We become available and vulnerable…."

May be I am too much of a logical person that sometimes hinder myself being a total servant to God. I enjoy being a servant to God, but I also recognize my limit. When I commit to a task, I usually have to take it seriously and see to it completion if possible, because I want to give my best to all God's assignments including church-related, home-related or office-related tasks. Therefore, when I am prompted for a task, I consider it seriously before accepting or declining. Would I be crossing the line into "choosing to serve" instead of "being a servant"? I tend to be more in a "choose to serve" mode when being prompted. After serious consideration (with prayers, contemplation, gift recognition / ability consideration and discussion with close friends), only when acceptance conclusion was made then I switch into the "to be a servant" mode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home